Formerly known as Sandgate Pier, this 350m long structure with its white timber rails and colonial lamps was completed in 1872 during the early heyday of Sandgate’s seaside tourism and over the years it6 has undergone refurbishment while its original character has been maintained.*
Attached to its southern side for a while were some enclosed swimming baths, with relic posts still visible at lower tide today. And on the shore adjacent where a playground and picnic shelters are now, was an amusement park.
These days the pier marks the spot for the start of the Brisbane to Gladstone Yacht race.
*The pier was closed in 2014 for a major 'renewal' costing $20 million dollars an re-opens on March 25th 2016 at 9am as part of the Bluewater Festival.
Image above taken 2012 before repairs.