Dating from 1866, this is significant as not only the first major (clay core) dam to be built in Queensland and one of the first in Australia but the only remaining reservoir and treatment facility to remain intact from those that were built during the 19th century post-separation era of Queensland. As such it provides a study in the principles of water storage from that era, including an earth embankment, gradients to prevent erosion and masonry pipes built in 1912 as sand filters.
Soundly designed by engineer Joseph Brady at the behest of Governor George Bowen, despite the odd modification it remained in its relatively original state until after the 1974 floods. In 1977 major alterations and extensions were undertaken, raising the height, building a new byewash and changing the water delivery system, all incorporating the original structure though.
The main working buildings of the dam have also been preserved including the little weatherboard valve house (circa 1866) that can be seen in the distance along the base of the new dam wall and the weatherboard pump house (1930’s) which still functions as does the treatment plant with its filters dating from 1912.
Two historic cottages – the clerk’s residence from 1867 and a workman’s abode from 1900 – still stand along Waterworks Rd and both are still in use as residences today.
And walkers can circumnavigate part of the reservoir shores via Brisbane Forest Park.
60 Mt Nebo Rd