Windsor Shire Council Chambers

Windsor

The cuttings of busy Lutwyche Rd through Windsor's historical pocket have left the old Windsor Council Chambers on something of an island, overlooked by the cliffs of the old Windsor quarry.

Designed by Brisbane architect Thomas Coutts and built of locally quarried porphyry (tuff) in 1896, the modest decorative building hosted its first Windsor Shire Council meet in March 1897.

In 1904 the Council changed its name to Windsor Town Council, with the original Shire in the sign being worked over with the word Town, with the odd over-lapped sign still being visible today.

After the amalgamation of the local councils into the Greater Brisbane Council in 1925, the premise was occupied as storage and office space for Brisbane Council until it was restored by them in 1987. Then in 1990 it was vacated by Council and is now occupied by the Windsor & Districts Historical Society.

Open on Sunday and Monday between 1-4pm, it is worth a visit to brush up on the rich local history of the area.

Windsor Shire

Council Chambers

Lutwyche rd

cnr Palmer st

Windsor

Map

1 Palmer St, Windsor, Queensland

Top Things To Do In Brisbane This Week

Brisbane Comedy Festival returns in 2019 with an all-star line-up of Australian and international comedians
Girls' Day Out returns to heritage-listed Eagle Farm Racecourse on Sat Feb 23
Pop the Bolly at Queensland Cricketers Club’s inaugural Black & Gold Bollinger Ball
Dave Thornton is a phenomenal stand-up comedian and he's coming to Brisbane
Sunset Cinema returns to Mt Coot-tha Botanic Gardens for 2019

Two

Real life married couple, Brian Meegan and Kate Raison, star in the comedy Two
BrisAsia Symposium 2019 will explore the theme Belonging
Celebrate the start of racing season at Tattersall’s RNB Race Day
Brisbane Symphony Orchestra will perform two of the greatest works of the late 19th century in March

The Gruffalo

After sell-out seasons around the world, the beloved children’s fantasy tale and monster hit returns to Brisbane
The Gruffalo