This 1920’s built picture theatre is one of a few remaining intact interwar cinemas left in Queensland and, with its ornate façade is a fine example of the picture palaces of that time. Originally known as the Triumph, it has also been known as the East Brisbane Picture Theatre and the Elite Cinema although for most of its years it was known as the Classic Cinema.
Inside the auditorium has retained its lattice ceiling, small stage and raked timber floor along with its decorative plaster panelling despite now being home to a Kng Fu academy. It operated as a movie theatre continuously for eighty years – an unusual achievement for a theatre built when it was.
963 Stanley Street