This remarkable piece of art deco architecture came to be during the Great Depression when houses everywhere were being divided into flats and blocks of flats had started to be built as ways of providing low rent dwellings for the myriad of people doing it tough.
Built by German born developer and plasterer Max Strickland in 1933-34 its was seen as ground-breaking for its time, not just the design of multiple angles to catch breezes and provide views for tenants but for the refrigeration installation that operated from a single unit in the basement and ran independent controls to each flat thus negating the need for meat safes.
His own house at number 999 Brunswick St, stands next to Coronet Court and he and his wife lived here until their premature deaths in the 1950’s. Before he gave New Farm Coronet Court Max was the decorative plasterer responsible for the extraordinary detailing inside the Regent Theatre.
995 Brunswick St