Commonwealth Government Offices
The imposing neo-classical towers of the government offices came to life as part of the government job scheme during the Depression. Built between 1933-36, they were designed by architect JS Murdoch as an aesthetic and complementary integration with the recently established Anzac Square. Due to financial restraints of the times, only two of the four blocks originally planned were built, with the rest of the plan, for the other side of the square, put on hold till better economic times.
In 1968 however the State Government abandoned the plans, instead opting for a much larger scale concrete office block which was built across the square in 1972 and a later intent to slice up Anzac Square for development was stopped thanks to a strong public outcry.
Today the connecting wings of the offices have been opened via a ground floor arcade which, with its Euro style inner courtyard, houses an amenable food court. The little wood and leadlight fronted shops underneath have been preserved and are home to book shop and map shops, cafes and boutiques
Commonwealth Gvt Offices
232 Adelaide St
Cnr Edward St