State Library of Queensland
Summer Festival at State Library of Queensland is the school holiday go-to for imaginative fun for children, young people and families.
This year’s Summer Festival offers a rich and varied program of free drop-in activities, popular Story Lab workshops, classic story-telling and arts and crafts as well as the opportunity to get high-tech with workshops in animation, robotics and virtual reality. Children can also fine-tune their creative writing, create their own picture book and explore free interactive installations.
And that's not all - kids can get to create a future city in the Virtual Reality Club, build and animate a colourful digital diorama or wire up an interactive story map. They can even try their hand at constructing a custom robot racer or activate their inner-architect and design a futuristic home. As for the little ones, they can rock out to a Woodstock-like ride of nursery rhymes or unleash their imagination in a creative play space.
An overview of the Summer Festival program:
- Summer Festival Home Base with interactive art installations and free, creative activities
- Story Salon with artist-led sessions and free play
- The Corner Cardboard Castles creative play space for under 8s
- The Drawing Room offering free family story making workshops
- Play Publishing Hub with community library, machines that print and copy, and a design space where new books are created
- Story Lab Studio featuring digital dioramas, touch-trigger interactive stories, 360° films and more
- Story Lab Workshops for ages 8-16 such as Flash Fiction, Digital Dioramas and Robot Racers
Need to know - While most of the activities are free, some are ticketed. Story Lab sessions are very popular and sell out quickly so don't delay in booking.
*State Library of Queensland is closed on Christmas Day & Boxing Day.
State Library of Queensland is a valued partner of Must Do Brisbane.com
State Library of Qld
Dec 31-Jan 27