119 Lamington St
Jun 26-Jul 7
Powerkidz, the parental sanity preserver brought to you by the Brisbane Powerhouse, is up and running again this June – July school holiday. Once again the performances spaces, nooks and crannies of the old electricity station are taken over by circus, comedy, theatre, workshops, dance, cooking, reading, art, climbing and music making activities for children aged 3-12, with about half ticketed and half free.
Highlights of this year's program are:
1. Slingsby's The Tragical Life of Cheeseboy – Using tricks of theatrical magic gifted actor Stephen Sheehan (Cheeseboy) weaves an enchanted tale out of thin air that will have young audiences in its thrall. With Cheeseboy's home planet reduced to a fondue Cheeseboy finds himself in a travelling theatre tent on earth spinning his story. Suited aged 9+.
Visy Theatre Jun 26-Jul 7 9.4am, 1pm $18 Grps 4 + $15pp
2. Look – From Imaginary Theatre, the makers of Tashi, is this perfect-for-first-timers show that starts in an unknown place surrounded by familiar and strange objects and goes on an interactive journey with themes of friendship and resilience, using physical story telling and objet theatre. Suited aged 2-5 yrs.
Turbine Platform Jul 3-7 9am, 11am $16 Grps 4+ $13 Preview Jul 2 10am $10
3. Little Big Shots Film Festival – A collection of fantastic short films made by kids for kids from around the world. Ranging from 3-10mins in length, these are perfect for little attention spans. Suited aged 2-5 yrs.
Powerhouse Theatre July 4-6 10am,12.30pm $10 Grps 4+ $8pp
1.Graffiti Wall – Children can release their inner street artists with this supervised wall-colouring activity fun by Chrissie Foreman. 90 mins. Suited 2+ years.
Turbine Platform Jun 26-30 10am, 12.30pm
2.Makedo Maze – Work with the artists from Bazel Grumble to make a wild maze from cardboard boxes and Makedo connectors
Turbine Platform Jun 26-30 10.30am, 1pm
3.Little Frog – Wert the Worm leads the song and dance and Little Frogs stars in animations from around the world to get children leaping. Aged 2-10yrs.
Turbine Platform Jul 3-6 10.40am 45 mins
4. Rapt in Reptiles – Reptiles large and small will be taking over the Turbine Platform under the care of Park Rangers in this touch and learn presentation.
Turbine Platform Jul 4,5 11.45am
- Outdoors (weather permitting)
1. Rock climbing – Multiple climbers can attack this unique mobile wall at a time, the only stipulation being to ring a bell when the top is reached. Safe fun for all the family.
Powerhouse Plaza Jun 26-30, Jul 3-7 $5 on the day
2. Trashy Treasures – Join a ranger for some earth-friendly games and learn to turn junk into works of art and treasure. Suited age 9-12yrs.
Powerhouse Plaza – Jul 6 1pm Free
Highlights of the many workshops include Circus intensives in the Store House, hip hop with bootylicious Candy B, Powervocals, Dance, and Makedo Animation.
And other free every year events include the Book Nook, Costume Corner and Colouring Corner – ideal to fill in time before or after events or as a hang out unto themselves.