Ferries have been an important part of Brisbane transport since the 1840s and as there was only one bridge built across the river in almost a century, there were ferry crossings up and down the river banks. This Arts and Crafts inspired one was built, along with the twin design Bulimba Ferry Terminal by the then Balmoral Shire Council in 1925 to replace the little waiting sheds the growing number of passengers were using.
The firm GHM Addison was commissioned to design the Bulimba terminal in 1922 and the Hawthorne terminal in 1924. At the time they were far and away the largest and most ornamental terminals built in that era and, for that matter, ever since.
The little playground and park attached, which is also heritage listed, was originally known as Hawthorne Ferry Park but lobbying by residents had its name changed to Hardcastle, after a prominent and esteemed resident who had lived nearby. Locals even went on to have the ornamental entrance arch made with materials supplied by the council.