Marist Brothers Tower Block
This ghostly white tower in the western foothills can be seen for miles around and was built in 1930 as St Jude’s Mission House and Seminary for the training of priests and nuns. In 1938-39 it was closed down under controversial circumstances and transferred to the ownership of Marist Brothers.
Built in a striking semi-gothic style it features mediaeval tracery in the windows and arches, adding to its mysterious aura as the only relic of the short lived mission house.
In World War II the tower was used by the Army for radio communications. The memorial gates to the playing field below are commemorative gates for the students of Marist Brothers who were killed in that war.
210 Acacia Dr