In the late 19th century the riverside of this part of new farm was lined with grand residences and ornate villas such as this sandstone one, which was designed by Italian architect Andrea Stombuco as his own family residence and built in 1882-3.
Stombuco was responsible for many decorative buildings during the time he spent in Brisbane from 1875 to 1890, including Hamilton’s Palma Rosa, Yeronga’s Rhyndarra and the splendid Her Majesty’s Opera House which was demolished at the hands of Premier Joh Bjelke-Petersen. Having not been given just recognition for his abilities as architect, builder and sculptor down south, he found his mojo in Brisbane with the help of Archbishop Dunne who kept him busy in between private residences designing Catholic buildings, amongst them St Joseph’s Nudgee and St Patrick’s Fortitude Valley.
After Andrea sold the house to an Italian merchant in 1885, the house had a turnover of owners and a stint from 1939 to 1958 as a nursing home. The exclusive women’s society The Moreton Club has been in possession since, with guest rooms and breakfast provided for its members.
71-73 Moray St