Of all the grand timber villas that in the 19th century were studded along New Farm’s riverfront, Amity is the sole survivor. It was built in 1892 for high profile multi-achiever Thomas Welsby - businessman, historian, politician and sportsman – who lived in it until his death in 1941 and whose stamp remains on it in the form of the terraced gardens of plantings, the name Amity in the fanlight above the door and his initials in the leadlight side panels.
Although he tragically lost his wife and an infant son in 1902 he went on to raise his daughters and a foster daughter here whilst playing an important role in everything from the Royal Queensland Yacht Club, Queensland Amateur Boxing and Wrestling and the Historical Society of Queensland to forming the Engineering Supply Company of Australia, chairing the New Farm State School and running for the Legislative Assembly.
The house remained in the family until 1952 when it was bought out by the neighbouring CSR Refinery and a prolonged stint as a residence for Royal Australian Navy tenants followed.
101 Welsby St