New Farm Park
Heritage-listed New Farm Park is the city’s grandest century old park and began life as a farm back in the mid-1800s.
Today, the 15-hectare, public recreational green space, managed by Brisbane City Council, is an active and healthy park, sporting many wonderful features.
The ornate bandstand rotunda, originally built in 1915, is a beautiful place to sit and take in the surrounding landscape, with seating around the railings. It’s also a very popular Brisbane location for wedding photos.
New Farm Park’s rose garden is home to tens of thousands of roses, and a wander through the rose arbour when they’re in bloom is a delight to the senses.
There are electric bbq facilities and water fountains dotted around, along with lots of shady trees to laze underneath for a picnic. There are a couple of sites that can be booked through the council’s website. Council-provided free WiFi is also available.
The unrivalled attraction for the kids is the swathe of interconnected tree houses set in a grove of magnificent aged banyan trees and the extensive playground of old and new that has sprung up around it, guaranteed to offer hours of fun for kids of all ages.
Plenty of parking is available both within the New Farm Park and in neighbouring streets, or you can take to the river and disembark at the New Farm Park ferry terminal.
History of New Farm Park
New Farm Park began life as the second farm (hence the name) that was established to grow crops to feed the convicts and this was followed by a brief career as a racecourse of wild repute until the permanent and more civilised Eagle Farm Racecourse was established in 1863.
Years of wilderness followed until its land purchase by the BCC and establishment during World War I by Harry Moore, Brisbane’s first and arguably greatest parks superintendent, in collaboration with acclaimed city architect Alfred Foster (together they were like the Bernie Taupin and Elton John of city parks).
Most of the park’s original features have been preserved, including the rotunda (designed by Foster) by the river, its circuitous avenue of jacarandas and the splendid rose garden which was extended during the 1950s.
New Farm Park
Sydney St &