Named after John, the son of prominent early settler Alexander Stewart (who resided in Glenlyon House), this little green square at the edge of Ashgrove shopping centre is awash with memorials pertinent to the history of the area.
Within the former Stewart Place tram shelter is a photographic tribute and recounted history and memories of the well-regarded 61st Battalion of Qld Cameron Highlanders who served in World War II. Their claim to fame, along with wearing kilts and playing the pipes and drums was their celebrated role in the 1942 battle of Milne Bay New Guinea, wherein Japanese troops were defeated for the first time in a land battle, thus providing a significant psychological boost to the Allied forces.
The memorial field gun also hails from World War II, an Ordnance QF twenty-five pounder that was thought by many to be the best field artillery used in that war.
The obelisk clad in local sandstone is a memorial to all of the wars of the 20th century and overlooking all of the above is a towering Gallipoli (Aleppo) pine whose parent was a seed brought back from Gallipoli in 1918 by a returned soldier.