A modern and slick outfit, Chill is the closest backpackers to the city centre from the Upper Roma St’s backpacker alley.
Dorm rooms - which all have air con - start at $30/nt, (sleeping up to 10) but check online for the regular on the spot specials where you could find yourself in a 5 bed dorm for the same price.
Although there is no garden/pool area downstairs to hang in there is an excellent rooftop with a bar along with great views of the city and the William Jolly bridge (which by night is illuminated with an ever changing art installation).
Other bonuses include commission - free 24 hr currency exchange, free Skype, internet connections and luggage storage, although there is no dedicated parking and there is next to no parking in nearby streets.
And as backpackers go, this one is hard to beat for location.
5 mins walk:
- clubs and bars of Caxton St
- landmark Suncorp Stadium for sports matches
- river bike paths to Toowong, City Botanic Gardens & West End
- historic Barracks precinct with Coles, cafes and a cinema
- Roma St Station
10 mins walk:
- GOMA and the Cultural Centre
- City centre
15 mins walk:
- Roma St Parklands
- South Bank
- boutiques, vintage shops, galleries, cafes & bars of historic Paddington.