There are two entrances to this tract of preserved bushland over the top of sealed off mine tunnels in Ipswich's heart – one via the carpark at Deebung St, adjacent to the water reservoir towers and the other around the other side in the cul de sac Quarry St.
For the best views in the west stop at the first one and here is a five storey climbing staircase to reach the reservoir roof (no high heels!). From here there are sweeping vistas to the D'Aguiler Ranges, the volcanic flat-topped Flinders Peak, the RAAF Amberley air base and Ipswich landmarks such as the grand gothic St Mary's Cathedral.
Back on the ground either take the bush track of around 800m that leads down to the other features of the park – the old quarry and the Triassic park. Or take the car around to Quarry St from where there are 2 relatively easy short circuits – the Quarry circuit which navigates the old quarry pond, partly following the old tramway along which coal skips used to be hauled. (the mine closed in 1952).
The other – a great one for children – a 200m trek which leaves from the same point, heads into a crude pavilion with, inside, info boards about the Triassic period in this neck of the woods and some sandstone dinosaur prints. When the area was first mined, a stash of fossil beds containing all kinds of insect fossils were discovered, only to be well buried in the spoils of the mine.
Those who want to lose themselves further, there's another circuit that connects the water tower track and the Triassic – Bluey's circuit.
Nearby are some picnic tables and a barbecue table for those who wish to make an outing out of it.