Viewed as a kind of quintessential Queensland house of the late 19th century, Hughesville sits in all its classic beauty overlooking the commercially marked intersection of Padstow and Logan Rds.
Designed by architect George Campbell-Wilson and built in 1892 for local horse dealer Alfred Hughes, it is thought to have been a wedding present for his 19 year old son Richard. At the time it was the finest house in what was then an established farming district.
The house remained in the Hughes family until 1994, cementing its title forevermore. In the years after the old Pacific Highway to the Gold Coast was built it was a prominent landmark for motorists to mark the far outskirts of Brisbane and in the late 1990s topped up its place in the community psyche by appearing in a XXXX beer commercial.