Built in 1888 to a design by architect AB Wilson, Forester’s Hall is a rare surviving intact example of a 19th century community hall.
It started life under the umbrella of the Ancient Order of Forester’s, a benevolent society that first appeared in Queensland in 1859, having been established in Britain in 1834 as a reaction to the absence of social welfare. In fact it was a splinter group of the Royal Forester’s from 1790AD who were under the heavy influence of the Robin Hood mythology.
Originally the hall was lit by kerosene lamps which were replaced by gas lighting in 1892 and under the floor is a four-roomed caretaker’s basement still in existence. Features of note include the stage and the double cedar doors of the vestibule. Before being taken over by Vinnie’s it was home at various times to the Labour party and from 1976 another friendly society, the interestingly named Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes.