Originating as Farrington House, this grand hilltop gabled home was built in the 1880’s for its biscuit empire owner Frederick Wilson whose Steam Biscuit Manufacturers were the first of their kind in the colony. Subsequently it was rented by a furniture manufacturer and retailer Rhoades of Fortitude Valley and one Colonel Lee who was a founding member of the Queensland Teacher’s Union.
Its historical significance today, beyond the prominence of its position and its past residents, lies with its historical usages, which encapsulate 130 years of typical housing trends since colonization.
Post World War II it was purchased by the Baptist church who renamed it Clifford House as a residence for the elderly until 1956 when, as was typical with grand old villas in the days of housing shortages, it was subdivided into rooming flats. Today it has come full circle and been restored to its original grandeur and name by its private owners.